This is EP Ward, the founder of “The 48%” Facebook page. First of all, a big thank you for your continued support. It is great to see so many people contributing and commenting on the group page. Please forgive me for the lack of regular updates over the past few weeks but things have been incredibly busy behind the scenes. I also want to take this opportunity to pay tribute to the great group of people who help me run this page. We are all volunteers and have myriad other commitments alongside our work in this group.
From your comments, I sense that the time for moaning and groaning has passed, and that you want action. You can, of course, keep following the points on our original call to action list. However, I am pleased to announce that several plans for action are in the pipeline.
Here’s a list of developments over the past week or so:
- Our aim is still to retain the UK’s membership of the EU. The group will facilitate this by acting as a central hub for Brexit-related information and by encouraging our members to take part in one big collective action per month. Our first monthly action will be announced shortly but I can tell you that it involves a large quantity of customised, handwritten postcards being delivered to 10 Downing Street. Preparations for this action are already in place and we hope to get our postcards to Mrs May in time for the debate on the 2nd referendum at the beginning of September.
- We have also decided to set up sub-groups which will target specific areas (e.g. migrant rights, scientists in the UK…) and work alongside existing groups. We will create links with these groups so that we can support them, and they can support us. This will enable members to follow the topics that interest them and contribute their expertise more efficiently to the group. This plan will take shape gradually over the next few months.
- We are in talks to get a video produced. The current idea being floated is based on the theme of “Being British is driving a German car to a Swedish furniture shop etc.” We want it to be very tongue-in-cheek and visual. This video will hopefully be ready within the next couple of weeks. We have had interest from a number of creative agencies who are willing to work on a pro-bono basis.
- We are working on a forum which would help avoid repetition and encourage more productive discussions. This forum will need to be tested first but should be up and running within the next few weeks
- We are working on shortlisting a selection of possible figureheads from a variety of fields who we could approach to help promote the group. We have delegated this responsibility to one of our members and expect his feedback by the end of this week.
- There has been some talk about empowering members to work on initiatives without needing approval from the group. A recent example of this was waving EU flags at the Proms. showbox apk We want our members to act independently as long as their actions are discussed openly in the group and are in line with our objectives and working methods.
- We now have a number of high-profile people in our group with whom we need to collaborate. As we keep saying, we are not politically aligned but we will need the support of politicians from across the political spectrum if we want to achieve our goals.
I am keen to hear your feedback on any or all of these topics. We strongly encourage you to keep contributing your own ideas to the group which will be picked up by the moderators and passed on to the admin team if they are deemed suitable and potentially effective.
Once again, many thanks for being part of this group. It has truly exceeded even my wildest expectations and would not be possible without you!.